Have you ever had those days where you find yourself slightly overwhelmed? I know those days all to well. Let’s face it… life can a lot sometimes. For me, it’s been an uphill battle learning how to deal with all the changes and new “roles” in my life. Not only do I work full-time, but I have my own small business, of course I blog, and I’m also a wife, a daughter, a big sister, and a friend. So how do I balance it all? As I said before, it’s an uphill battle but I have 6 balancing tips that I’d like to share with you, in hopes that you can find some sort of balance in life.
1. Eat Breakfast - It may seem simple but there are so many people who skip breakfast. For years, I did the same thing. I was “too busy” in the morning to think about eating. However for the past few months, I’ve been making an extra effort to get up and pack my breakfast before work. Most of the time I’ll pack boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, or cereal. Eating in the morning gives me energy and it helps me focus throughout the day. This one small change has really helped so I suggest you start here!
2. Get Lifted - I’m not here to convert your beliefs or tell you to pray 24-7. But I do think having some sort of daily does of inspiration is important. Reading Our Daily Bread, A Purpose Driven Life, or some other uplifting read can help focus your thoughts for the day. I usually read Our Daily Bread and listen to something uplifting while driving to work (see post here) to get my day started.
3. Write it Down - I’ve been slacking on my journaling but I do create some sort of daily reminder/list that I can refer to. I use my phone a lot for this. I have so many notes like what I ate, our grocery list, random thoughts/ideas for my blog and business, etc. all in my trusty iPhone. If I get all the ideas out of my head and onto paper (or in a phone), that’s one less thing for me to think about. I also make a daily checklist once I get to work. Seeing all my tasks and highlighting them when their complete gives me a mini-sense of accomplishment.
4. Unplug - This is SO difficult for me but I’m finding it to be very necessary and beneficial. I’ve started unplugging from social media, texting, and talking for at least 45 mins to an hour when I get home. Usually when I’m cooking, I’m able to do this. I charge my phone in the other room, turn on a jazz or R&B music station on TV and just focus on cooking. I do have the house phone nearby in case the hubby or mom calls. When I’m not cooking, I use this “unplug” time to make my lunch for the next day or do meal prep for the rest of the week, tidy up around the house, or take a nap. Yes, a nap STILL does wonders for me at 27 years old, LOL! I also use this time to chat with my husband about how his day was or anything else we decide to talk about. I think setting aside time to have a one-on-one conversation with your mate or significant other (with no cell phone in sight) is important to maintain a healthy relationship.
5. Unwind & Pamper - Every Sunday, I try to treat myself to a foot massage (I purchased a portable foot soaker/massager one form Walmart) and a facial. After filling up the foot soaker with warm water and Epsom salt, I soak for a good 30 mins. I also use that time to catch up on the latest fashion and gossip magazines or watch the shows I missed from the week. I purchase these little face mask packets from Target in order to give my self a mini facial – I love the detoxifying and purifying ones! It’s like a mini spa our bedroom on Sunday afternoons and I love it!
6. SLEEP! - I try my very best to be asleep by 10.30 – 11 pm on weeknights. If Scandal is on, it’s 11 ;-). I used to stay up until way past midnight writing blog posts, watching TV, reading…whatever! I would wake up the next morning with a rather blah attitude and then go through the day feeling so lethargic. Gone are those days. The older I get the more I realize how important it is to get proper rest. Whatever I don’t finish that day waits until the next day. A good night sleep is key to functioning though my busy days(s).
Now that I’ve shared my balancing act tips with you, what do you think? Do you do any of these things on my list? What are some things that you do to keep balance in your life? Let me know! As always, I love to read your feedback and ideas. Until next time, be blessed…TTYS!