I hope you all had an enjoyable weekend! Mine was lovely, mainly because I was able to spend it with my mother. For Mother’s Day my sister and I planned a day of relaxation, food and fun for both my mother and grandmother. Although I see my mother pretty much everyday (we work together), it was nice to shower her with extra love and affection. My mother and I have always been very close. I cherish our relationship and I’m extremely grateful that we’ve maintained a healthy and loving relationship all these years. It’s not something I take for granted.
I’ve watched her play the role of a daughter, mother, wife, business owner and friend. During the past 5 years, I’ve especially paid close attention to how she manages to juggle it all while running a business. I’ve pretty much been a sponge. Working with her has allowed me to witness first-hand the in’s and out’s of being an African American woman entrepreneur/business owner. Whenever I have a question, idea, or thought about business she’s the first person I turn to.
I marvel at how she talks to and encourages both my sister and I. Raising two daughters, one 29 and the other 13, isn’t always a walk in the park. But she does it effortlessly, while making sure we each have access to her whenever we need it. Watching her as Mrs. James, the wife, is always inspiring. I’ve actually become a more understanding and loving wife because of how I see her treat and interact with my father. Her patience and kindest towards my grandmother, her mother, has also taught me how to be a better daughter.
Mary’s daughter, Dennis’ wife and Taylor and Whitney’s Mom has taught me some of the most important life lessons. And do you know what impresses me the most? Through all the lessons, she’s remained humble, impeccably stylish, and above all, graceful. Take a look at the top 25 life lessons learned from my mother.
Faith + Family
- Always say your grace and always say your prayers.
- Have kids when you’re ready.
- In everything, give thanks.
- Family First.
- Have Faith.
Life + Love
- Don’t hide the gifts God gave you to; figure out how to use them to help others.
- Everyone is not your friend & everyone is not going to like you.
- Independence is always attractive.
- You teach people how to treat you.
- Experience life & travel often.
- Sometimes love isn’t enough.
- Keep the spark alive.
Business + Money
- You have to spend money to make money.
- Have more than one bank account.
- Loan money wisely, but not often.
- Everything is negotiable.
- Love what you do.
- Work hard.
Health + Beauty/Style
- Understand your body and listen to what it’s telling you.
- Wearing makeup everyday is not necessary.
- But always wear lip gloss or lipstick.
- Wash your face before bed.
- Sleep on a silk pillowcase.
- Don’t buy cheap shoes.
* More Beauty + Style Tips HERE *
So tell me, what do you think about the 25 life lessons learned from my mother? What are some lessons your mother has taught you? Let me know!
When I was a child I never wanted to be “just like” anyone, except my mother. After reading this I’m sure you can understand why. I can’t wait to pass down what I’ve learned to my children one day. If you still have your mother in your life, I encourage you to show her some love (in your own way) while she’s still around. Life is short and each day we’re blessed with, we should show those we love just how much they mean to us. Until next time, stay safe and be blessed…XO!
KEEP UP WITH ME