Since the move, I’ve been trying to get my morning routine down pat. It’s been about 3 months in the new place and I’m beginning to get better with it. Although I can go with the flow, I’m such a stickler for routine. I’m much more productive when there’s a set routine in place. I’ve been working on ways to make my mornings and days a bit easier and I think I have a good grasp what works for me. Here are 11 easy ways to have a better day and a great morning!
1. Pray and express gratitude. | As soon as I open my eyes, I whisper or say “thank you, Lord”. Expressing gratitude for a new day is the least I can do. My husband and I also pray together before he heads to work. It sets the tone for our day and I’m so thankful we’ve made this a morning ritual. Afterwards, I take a few moments to myself and say a personal prayer as well. Some days I’ll read a scripture or my Daily Bread instead. Either way, I start each day with prayer and expressing gratitude.
2. Find and repeat a positive affirmations/quote. | Every morning I find an affirmation or quote that fits my mood and I repeat it 3 times. I sit with it for a moment and if it’s something I feel compelled to share, I’ll post it to my Instagram. Positive words make me feel good and if I can share a small piece of that positivity with others, I do it.
3. Drink cold water or a cup of hot tea. | Depending on the day, I’ll opt for a cold glass of water or a warm cup of tea in the a.m. If I need a burst of energy, I go with the ice cold water. It’s a great way to jump start and wake up the rest of your body. If I know I have an easy-going day ahead, the hot cup of tea does the trick. It calms, soothes and gets me ready to for a nice relaxing day.
4. Eat something. | I haven’t always been the best at eating breakfast, but I now make it a point to eat something about 30-40 minuets after I wake up. Even if it’s a piece of fruit or a 1/2 a bagel, I make sure something is on my stomach soon after I wake up. Nowadays I usually make eggs, grilled peppers and a piece of toast or a bowl of oatmeal. Both meals are hearty and keep me full until lunchtime.
5. Take a cold (or lukewarm) shower. | I usually shower after eating and I LOVE those moments. The bathroom is like my sanctuary. All my ah-ha moments and brilliant ideas happen in the shower, lol. After I wash my face and complete my morning face/teeth brushing routine, I hop in the shower. At first I make sure the water is warm, but a few minutes before I get out I turn the water to cold or lukewarm. That bust of cold definitely wakes me up!
6. Take a moment. | After my shower I like to take a moment to myself and sit on the side of the bed. Here I usually just sit in silence to gather my thoughts. It’s moments like this I just breathe and try to pay attention to my breath. I’m trying to ease into meditation so this helps get me used to sitting still, if only for a few moments.
7. Listen to Music. | Still on my beside, I’ll reach for my phone, scroll through my music and turn on my Morning Playlist. I may even turn on an audio-book or podcast, depending on my mood. Mostly, music is my #1 choice. I listen for a few moments, while still sitting on my bed, hook the phone to the speakers, then continue getting ready.
8. Stretch. | While getting dressed, I stretch a bit in between putting on my clothing. Moving and stretching helps continue to wake up my body. I’m the worst at stretching, so I try to do this while listening to music. I’m usually already moving and dancing around so it’s perfect!
9. Make your bed. | My grandfather drilled this in my head at a young age and thankfully, I carried this good habit over into adulthood. Making the bed everyday creates a calm environment in your bedroom. Plus, it looks nice! When I come home after a long day the last thing I want to look at is an unmade bed. Seeing the bed made and neat gives me peace of mind. In our household, it’s a must. Being the passionate hospitality professional he is, hubs really appreciates that I’ve made this a habit and he too makes the bed if he leaves after me. #TeamWork
10. Leave a few minutes early. | This is something I constantly work on, but leaving the house a few minutes early eliminates a stressful commute to work. Leaving early leaves time for those out of nowhere traffic jams or unexpected accidents. It also allows you to arrive a few minutes early, giving you time before you head into work to breathe, say a quick prayer, and get ready for whatever craziness might come.
11. Smile. | Throughout the day I smile, at strangers, those I work with, and even myself. It’s just so much easier to be pleasant and flash a smile every now and then. You never know who your smile may uplift during your day.
So tell me, what are somethings you do to ensure that you have great day? Let me know!
Snippets of my morning routine are often shared on my Snapchat, so feel free to follow! If you’re interested in receiving more ways to have a better day and more productive morning, sign up for my newsletter. I’ll be sending a special post on even more ways to do so very soon. Until tomorrow, be blessed and stay safe…XO!
KEEP UP WITH ME