GOOD MORNING and happy Monday! I hope you all had a joyous Thanksgiving holiday! If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you know I spent my holiday on the #TWNTour (click HERE for more details). I had an amazing time and found some really great items! But more about the trip later this week.
Today’s post is the 1st of my 12 Days of Thriftmas posts. I usually introduce you to a new thrifty friend twice a month but I thought you’d enjoy even MORE thrifty friends during the holidays! So on Day 1 of the 12 Days of Thriftmas, I’d love for you to meet Isaiah. This young man is very dapper and always styles his vintage and thrifty threads so effortlessly. I came across his blog, A Collected Gentleman, last year and I’ve been hooked every since! Enjoy his looks, as well as his interview. Isaiah had some great things to say about thrifting, personal style and life!
1. Name, Blog Name & Location?
My name is Isaiah Johnson, my blog is A Collected Gentleman and I currently reside in Indianapolis, Indiana.
2. How long have you been a thrifter?
I have been thrifting for 2 years.
3. How did you get into thrifting? Did someone inspire you?
I was actually inspired to thrift by two bloggers who also inspired me to create my blog, and they are Street Etiquette and The Style Blogger.
4. How often do you thrift?
I try to thrift every weekend if I can.
5. What are some of your favorite Thrift Stores in your area?
I like shopping at the local Goodwill’s and Salvation Armies in Indianapolis, Indiana.
6. What would you say to someone who wants to try thrifting but has no idea where to start?
I would say visit a thrift store on your day off when you really have time to look. I normally like to thrift in richer neighborhoods because…(continued on question 8)
7. What items do you look for most when you thrift? Clothing, Accessories, Home Decor or a little bit of everything?
…when I thrift I usually look for vintage and statement pieces. The thing I love about thrifting is that you find unique pieces designers don’t make anymore.
8. Are there certain items you will not thrift? If so, what?
The only thing I would not thrift is underwear, LOL.
9. If you could describe your style in 3 words, what would they be?
Unique, Personal and hopefully, Inspiring
10. Any fashion/style inspirations? Celeb or non celeb?
Honestly my family inspired my style and just being an artist. My mom taught me at a young age to always look your best even if you’re down and out.
Being into art I would say that helped me with mixing and matching different colors and fabrics.
11. What’s the biggest misconception about thrifting you think people have?
The only misconception I’ve heard is that a lot of the thrift stores are dirty and smelly. Some can be, but if you can overlook that you will find some treasures.
12. Anything else you’d like to share?
Love yourself and keep your head held high. When it comes to developing your style, enjoy and learn from your process. Don’t rush it.