Hubby and I celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary on Sunday (Mother’s Day). It was a beautiful day, spent with family, food and laughter – the same things we were surrounded with last year that time. I really can’t believe it’s been 1 year already – time has flown! This roller coaster ride has been a wild one, but there’s no one else I would have wanted to take the ride with. Check out the 7 things I’ve learned in the 1st year of marriage.
1. Stay in the Word. Like any marriage, we’ve had our trials. Being in The Word and praying together has helped strengthen Darrius and I when faced with certain trials in our marriage. We both have a strong foundation and we know that with God, all things are possible and all things will work out…in time.
2. Communicate Your Feelings. Even if you don’t solve the problem at that moment, communicate how you feel. If you’re upset say it. If you’re hurt, say it. Don’t play the guessing game. Keeping the communication lines open has helped avoid many disagreements. Speak about it, get it out and don’t leave them guessing.
3. Talk Money. I really don’t like talking about money but, bills have to be paid and thrifting has to be done. Therefore, money talk is necessary. 😉
4. Keep Your Circle Tight. It’s great to have friends and acquaintances but the less people you have in your business the better. I think we’ve both learned that not everyone welcomes a happy marriage (or relationship). Some people want you to have the same problems as they do, which causes them to (directly or indirectly) pass their bad vibes and energy your way. Keeping our circle of friends tight has eliminated that. We know who has our back and we’re thankful for them.
5. Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff. As I mentioned in this post, husbands will leave the toilet seat up. Let it go…accept it, lol. Darrius comes home some days and just wants to watch silly videos on World Star Hip Hop. That’s “his thing” so, I let him do that. Does he always clean up the kitchen (right) after we’re done dinner? No…but I do, lol. It’s not the end of the world. Let go of the silly stuff and focus on what matters.
6. Date Night is a Must. As I told you in this post, I’m learning how to “dress up” for date night. Our date nights are so much fun, and they’re so necessary. We make it a point to go out for dinner, go for a walk, or even take a quick overnight trip as often as we can. We’re both working hard in our careers and we also have extra circular activities that sometimes cause us to miss one another here and there. Because of that, we really value our date night/alone time.
7. Have Fun. I love my husband and we have SO much fun together. We love to travel and road trips seem to be “our thing”. So when we have a trip coming up, we’re always excited! Finding enjoyable activities to do together is key to a happy marriage.
As we head into year 2 of our marriage, do you have any advice you’d like to share? Let me know!
As always, thanks for reading! I’ll be back tomorrow with an outfit post AND a linkup – I’m making up for yesterdays Personal Style Linkup. 🙂 Enjoy today, be blessed and stay safe…XO!