Well hello, happy Monday, and WELCOME TO MY NEW SITE!! I’m so excited that you’ve dropped by and I hope you love the new and improved Whitney Nic James as much as I do! There are still a few tweeks that I’d like to make but I must say I am SO pleased with the outcome thus far! HUGE thanks to Olivia - you are THEE best!! I’ll do a separate post that will go in detail about the changes and what to expect but for now, I want to continue with my favorite feature on the site - Thrifty Friend.
Today’s Thrifty Friend hails from Atlanta, GA and I must say that she knows how to put her own unique spin on her thrifted finds. I love NeShanta’s in your face and original style – it’s quite refreshing in a world where many fashionistas tend to wear the same trends, designers and prints. Check out her thrifting tips, best looks, and inspirations below! Also be sure to visit her blog, Style is She and her online shop HERE. I’m sure you’ll love her as much as I do!
1. Name, Blog Name & Location?
NeShanta “StyleIsShe” Davis
2. How long have you been a thrifter?
I’ve been thrifting since I was in the 7th grade so, about 20 years.
3. How did you get into thrifting? Did someone inspire you?
I started thrifting because we went through a rough patch financially as a kid. We couldn’t afford the trendy clothes so, I begged my mom to take me thrifting. I preferred to wear vintage clothes, something the other kids didn’t do, rather than wear the non-fashionable clothes at the mall or other retail stores. It was my way of being different and not following trends. My mother couldn’t understand it but I had my own style – it has translated into who I am today.
4. How often do you thrift?
I can honestly thrift everyday but I only go once or twice a week. Some days I score big and some days I find nothing at all.
5. What are some of your favorite Thrift Stores in your area?
I am a huge fan of the Goodwill and Value Village.
6. What would you say to someone who wants to try thrifting but has no idea where to start?
You must have patience. Things aren’t just going to jump out at you so you must take your time and look.
7. What items do you look for most when you thrift? Clothing, Accessories, Home Decor or a little bit of everything?
Honestly I’ve never shopped for anything outside clothing, shoes and accessories until recently. We bought a new house and I’ve found some really nice items while out thrifting. So now I shop mainly for home décor.
8. Are there certain items you will not thrift? If so, what?
I don’t shop undergarments. Ew!!
9. What are 3 words to describe your style?
Eclectic, chic & fab.
10. Any fashion/style inspirations? Celeb or non-celeb?
Solange, Olivia Palermo, Kourtney Kardashian and blogger Ashleigh from, The Daleigh.