Happy Monday!! I hope you’re ready to meet my new Thrifty Friend today! Troy, an avid thrifter with an amazing eye for vintage gems, has such a an eclectic style that it’s hard not to be amazed by her effortless style. I found Troy’s blog not too long ago and fell in love with her finds! She also has the cutest little girl who has the biggest personality! Check her out below and don’t forget to stop by her blog and other social sites. Tell her Nic sent you…XO!
1. Name, Blog Name & Location?
Troy, Thriftanista in the City, from Chicago.
2. How long have you been a thrifter?
Sporadically for about 15 – 20 years and hardcore for 3 years.
3. How did you get into thrifting? Did someone inspire you?
I was always searching for unique pieces to wear and would occasionally shop in vintage store. During my first layoff, I started buying things to sell on eBay. Around 3 years ago when I became a full time mom and without income, I started frequenting thrift stores more and more. I like to shop and the thrift store prices were just right. I remember the thrift haul with my BFF that kicked things off into hardcore level. Since that time, I’ve been running to the thrift store at least once a week.
4. How often do you thrift?
1 to 3 times a week with a combination of thrift stores and estate sales. I sell some items on eBay and Etsy too.
5. What are some of your favorite Thrift Stores in your area?
Unique Thrift Store (Sheridan location), Village Discount Outlet (Roscoe location). Both are local chains but they are not equal. Salvation Army too. I’ve found fantastic treasures at all of those locations.
6. What would you say to someone who wants to try thrifting but has no idea
where to start?
Thrifting can be overwhelming, I suggest picking a section to browse and just focus on that section and bring your patience. Also, try a consignment store first. The prices are still reasonable and the stores are usually clean and organized. Not always the case in a thrift store.
7. What items do you look for most when you thrift? Clothing, Accessories,
Home Decor or a little bit of everything?
Definitely clothing and accessories.
8. Are there certain items you will not thrift? If so, what?
Underwear. I’ll take a fresh pair thank you very much.
9. What are 3 words to describe your style?
Ecclectic. Classic. Glam.
10. Any fashion/style inspirations? Celeb or non-celeb?
My inspiration is mostly from other bloggers.
11. What’s the biggest misconception, in your opinion, you think people
have about thrifting?
That it’s all old, outdated clothes. Thrift stores have new, gently used, and trendy items too.
12. Anything else you’d like to share?
If you aren’t already thrifting, give it a try! Also, Check out my latest thrift haul that includes a Bottega Veneta clutch for $20 and more!
::Connect with Troy::