A few days ago someone asked what I’ve been reading, so I posted a few of my reads on Instagram. I wanted to share here on the blog as well; I think it’s a great topic to discuss as we prepare for the New Year. Hopefully these suggestions will give you some ideas and in turn, you can send some suggestions my way! There are a few more books on my to-read list (by January 31st), but these are the few I’ve been focused on at the moment. Check out the video and description of each below!
1. Our Daily Bread | I’ve been reading this devotional for years and I suggest it to just about everyone who asks for an inspirational read suggestion. It’s a daily devotional, filled with short stories, practical applications and references a story in the Bible to tie it altogether. I get them mailed to my home and I also use the app several times a week. If you’re looking for an easy and impactful daily devotional, check it out!
2. Destiny, T.D. Jakes | This book is a must read if you’re searching for a your purpose and trying to figure out why you’re here. This book is truly life changing and came at the perfect time. Not only did I have the pleasure of meeting the author, but he also encouraged me to continue pursing and living my purpose. Powerful moment, for sure. If you get a chance to read this book let me know. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
3. ZAG, Marty Neumeier | Thanks to my Mom I found out about this book. This is yet another “on time” read, as far as where I am in my blog and business journey. It’s an easy and straightforward read on how to stand out from your competition and how to “zag” when everyone else is doing the same thing. GREAT read!
4. Essence Magazine (October & November Issue) | I’ve been a subscriber to Essence Magazine for years. These 2 issues, one with Kerry Washington on the cover and the other with Taraji P. Henson, did not disappoint. Both were filled with very useful financial, life and beauty tips/info, geared towards the African American Woman. If you can get your hands on these issues, you won’t be sorry!
5. Self (October Issue) | Although I’m not a subscriber, I often purchase this Self Magazine (and others) when one of my favorite celebrities is on the cover. I mean let’s be honest, imagery draws everyone in right? I’ve been a fan of Jessica Alba for a while and I admire her as a business woman, wife and mother. Seeing her on the cover, I knew I had to purchase this issue. She talked a lot about building her billion dollar brand while being a woman, mom and wife. She also let readers know a few of her woman inspirations. Check it out if you can.
6. O Magazine (November Issue) | I’m a fan of O Magazine and this issue was not only visually appealing, but uplifting as well. My favorite part of the issue, aside from Oprah’s 70’s inspired outfit, was the pocket size quotable inspiration cards. You can pop out these cards and add them to your vision board, keep them in your wallet or mirror as daily reminders.
So tell me, what do you think about what I’ve been reading? What books, magazines or devotionals have you been reading lately? Let me know?
Thanks for reading and be sure to check out the video for an even more in-depth look at what I’ve been reading. Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more videos! Also, be sure to enter the Kate Spade #FearlessWomanIAM giveaway, HERE. Until tomorrow, be blessed and stay safe…XO!
Keep Up With Me
Instagram // Twitter // Facebook // Newsletter
I am trying to find more reading material that’s inspirational. I’m currently reading Big Magic. It’s pretty good so far.
Starkey recently posted…The Write Block Wednesday: Writing Prompt
I’ve heard that’s a great read. Definitely one I added to my list next year!
Curvy CEO says
These are great recommendations – thanks Nic!
No prob, love! 🙂
I’m currently reading “Humans of New York Stories” based off the popular Humans of New York website. It’s basically a dude with his camera capturing the everyday lives of the melting pot that is New York City. And the cool thing about this is the people revealing their stories. How he’s been able to make New Yorkers (known for being rude) to open up to him is amazing.
Once done with that, I have a couple books to breeze through before the end of the year runs out *fingers crossed*: “Why Not Me” by Mindy Kaling, “Purple Hibiscus” by Chimamanda Adichie, “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” by Stieg Larsson, “Style Stalking” by Refinery 29, and the “Game of Thrones” series. Plus I’m gonna support my pastor, Keith Battle, and his new book, “A Second Chance”.
I’m a magazine lover! Reformed addict, really. Right now the only magazines I subscribe to are Entertainment Weekly, InStyle, and People Style Watch.
Vivi recently posted…House Crush
That Humans of NY sounds really interesting. Gotta look it up, thanks! And yes, I am a reform magazine addict. It got ridiclious for a while, LOL!
Tanya @ Mom's Small Victories says
Ooooh, I’m going to have to put Zag on my to read list. I’m trying to finish a book for a blog tour. I’m just not loving it so I’m not motivated to read it. Thanks for sharing with Small Victories Sunday Linkup. Pinning to our linkup board and hope you found some great posts to visit this week!
Yes, for sure. It’s been a great read! Thanks for stopping by!