The other day, I looked back at my very 1st blog post from March 2011 and instantly realized that I’d grown so much as a blogger. I actually leave my old blog published because from time to time, I look back at where I started as motivation. Especially on days when I’m not feeling it. That said, I want to share 10 things I’ve learned about blogging. Maybe you’re thinking about blogging but unsure of “what it takes”. Or maybe you’re already a blogger and you find yourself at a fork in the road, unsure if you want to continue blogging or not. Whatever the case, I invite you to check out this post. In one way or another, I hope it helps. 🙂
1. Stay True – Regardless of what’s “popular” or “trendy”, blog about what you know and what you’re passionate about.
2. Be Consistent – You don’t have to blog every day but, have some kind of blogging schedule so your readers know when to expect your posts.
3. Connect – Do your best to respond to blog comments and questions. When a blogger responds to my comments, it shows me that she/he actually cares that I visited their site.
4. Network – Attend as many conferences, meetups, etc. that you can afford. This keeps you up-to-date on the latest blog trends and it keeps you motivated.
5. Be Nice – It’s a small world, but an even smaller blogging world. Word travels fast so, be careful how you “act” online and in person.
6. Plan Ahead – This is something I’ve gotten better at, but I’m still working on it. Planning your blog posts and social media posts saves so much time. Especially if you have a life outside of blogging.
7. Work Together – Working with other bloggers is a great way to introduce yourself to a new audience. Find another blogger that shares your interests and figure out a way to team up!
8. Learn to DIY– When it comes to the blog itself, a lot of blog tweaks and changes can be done by you, the blogger. You don’t have to hire someone to do every little thing for you. If you’re investing in your blog, why not learn a thing or two about how to run a blog?
9. Trial & Error – Try posting at different times for a few weeks and pay attention to which time brings more traffic. You can also do this for your social media sites too!
10. Have Fun & Keep Going – For me, blogging is fun. I love to write, meet new people and connect with readers so it’s a perfect match! 😉 Also, don’t get discouraged because you “only have a little bit of followers”. Followers will come and even if they don’t, remember why you started in the 1st place.
So tell me, what are somethings you’ve learned about blogging? Let me know!
I hope you’ve found this post helpful. As always, thanks for reading! Until next time, be blessed and stay safe.
KEEP UP WITH ME
Instagram // Twitter // Snapchat // Facebook // Newsletter
Great thoughts, Nic! I’m still only a few months into the blogging thing but I’m learning to just take everything day by day. I still have a lot to figure out but it helps to remember where you started 🙂
Rashida recently posted…Monday Motivation | 13
Thanks, Rashida. Keep going and like you said, take it day by day! 🙂
Antionette Blake says
Great tips, most of which I teach to those attending my Blogging 101 class. I still remember my first post – it was sad! Hope you are safe and warm today. (discouraged)
Antionette Blake recently posted…Storm Survival Sack
😉 Thank, sis! And yes, I am safe and warm today!
Fabulous 30s says
Great tips my dear. And you are right…if you love it just do it no matter how many followers do you have. And stay true to yourself. 🙂
Fabulous 30s recently posted…Burgundy and Plaids
🙂 Thanks love!
Alison @ Get Your Pretty On says
Really great post and observations! I couldn’t agree more with all of them. What other job gives you the opportunity to learn something new every day?
Alison @ Get Your Pretty On recently posted…Beauty Buzz | Professional At-Home Hair Color
Exactly! 🙂 Thanks for reading, Alison!
Great points! Look how far you have come in less than two years! I can’t wait to see where blogging takes you in 2014!
Karen recently posted…3 Ways to Wear A Faux Fur Vest
Thanks, Karen! We’ve both come a long way! 🙂
Glenda @ So What to Twenty says
Yes, I agree with them all. Especially number 2 – Be Consistent. I like to read my favorite blogs. It’s a drag when they skip days, weeks, etc.
Glenda @ So What to Twenty recently posted…Camouflaged
Yea, consistency is key. 😉
Love your list Whitney! I especially like #1. It’s so easy to get on the band wagon of what other bloggers are doing that you can lose your voice. Staying true to yourself and your passion will also less likely cause you to have bloggy burnout. Thanks for sharing! Btw…dropping by from the BLM Girls FB group! Have a wonderful day!
Michell @Prowess and Pearls
Michell recently posted…Mastering YOU Monday…parenting 101
Thanks Michell, my fellow BLM Girl!! Thanks for stopping by..XO!
Good points Whitney. I blog for fun and have met so many good bloggerfriends since I started in 2010. I agree with Be Nice – Learn DIY. It can get expensive.
Neti* recently posted…Mr. Perfect
I’ve met so many great people too, Neti! I think I enjoy that aspect of blogging the most. 🙂
Rachel Garay says
Awesome advice or tips. I especially learned from the point 2 and would love to one day co-host or be a guest host as point 7 suggests. How has your experience been with guest hosting? I know you did for fundaymonday, how was it?
Thanks, Rachel! It was great co-hosting for Funday Monday! I was able to (virtually) meet a lot of new people and gain a few new readers as well. I say go for it! 🙂
Rachel Garay says
Ok, thanks! I will try it!
Rachel Garay recently posted…Spring Wishlist
Thanks for sharing these useful tips. My favorite is being consistent. I try to post on the same days 3 times a week. 🙂
Mo recently posted…DIY: Lace Back Tunic
No problem, Mo! I think consistency can make or break a blogger. It’s nice to have something for your readers to look forward to, ya know? Thanks for stopping by, DIY Queen! 😉
Planning ahead is so important. I find when I plan ahead at the beginning of the week I am more successful at my blogging then when I try to do it daily.
Blogging is really a game of strategy if you want to do it and do it well. I have learned to not be so hard on myself and if I fall off the band wagon to just get back on when I have time. Sometimes its hard to remember that blogging is just a hobby!
Mimi recently posted…Toddler Hair Care Tips
I agree Mimi – blogging can be a game of strategy. As far as planning, I feel the same way. When I’m on it and I have my posts all ready for a new week, I feel like Super Woman, lol! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! XO
Well said! Thanks for the tips and the gentle reminders.
It is all about community.
Shon recently posted…Gray’s Anatomy
Not a problem, Shon! And yes, it’s all about community! 🙂
Michellette "Mimi" Green says
Great tips, I need to do the Networking part. I had my blog on the back burner because I started a business. Now I’m able to work both and I’ve found renewed interest in my blog.
Michellette “Mimi” Green recently posted…Easy Denim DIY Project
Thanks, Mimi! That’s great that you’ve found a renewed interest. Networking will help keep you motivated for sure. 😉
Elle @ EatStylePlay says
Love these tips! They are all so true. It’s really important to do what you love when blogging. I used to let worrying about what others thought hold me back when posting in a space that I’ve invested time, money, and love it. For what? When I finally just let go I think I’ve seen more interaction.
Thanks, girl! I agree with you – when I let go and let it be, that’s when I get the best results.
Love this post! Thanks Whitney.
Kishina recently posted…Beverly Hills Polo
Thanks, Kishina!! 🙂
NatashaB|Fashionably Fabulous says
Great post Whit. xoxo
NatashaB|Fashionably Fabulous recently posted…DIY Italian Wool Blend Dress
Thanks, love! XO
Whitney, these are GREAT tips! 4 & 8 I need to work more on.
Thanks so much, Bobbie! 🙂
Toya | The Limerick Lane says
Great tips! I definitely need to stay consistent.
Toya | The Limerick Lane recently posted…Melyssa Ford Says “Don’t Do It!” To Girls Aspiring To Be Video Vixens. #BloodSweatHeels
Thanks, Toya! 🙂
Carin Kilby Clark says
I love each and every one of these and have learned them myself since I started blogging last April. It’s a very fun experience. 😀
Carin Kilby Clark recently posted…My Top 5 Favorite Blog Resources
Thanks, Carin! I’ve learned so much, and I’m STILL learning. It’s a lot but like you said, the experience ins VERY fun!